Information for Off-Campus Students
- Be aware and alert.
- Watch for and report unusual circumstances or behaviors such
- People who appear out of place or “casing the
- People who seem unusually distracted, have a dazed appearance,
are openly agitated, nervous or hostile
- Packages, backpacks, etc. that seem to have been abandoned or
are noticeably out of place
- Vehicles that are parked in restricted or unusual areas or
appear to have been abandoned
- Know the location of the emergency exits in your classroom
- Have a plan in place for contacting your family if an emergency
occurs while you’re on campus.
In the event of a campus emergency, remain calm. Use common
sense and assist others as necessary without endangering
- Contact the nearest MU staff member for information,
instructions or assistance.
- Evacuate buildings immediately if requested by authorities,
upon hearing an alarm or when you sense that remaining inside may
- In emergencies, do not use the MU telephone system except to
report the emergency situation.
- Do not use elevators.
- Do not risk your life or the lives of others by reentering a
building to save personal or University property.
- Do not cross Police barriers without permission.
- Do not exceed your training or knowledge in attempting to
provide first aid.
- Use your cellular phone as the University phone services may be
down or overloaded.
- Contact a family member or a friend to let them know
you’re safe once you have reached a secure location.
- If an emergency occurs while you are off campus, please do not
drive to campus unless advised to do so.
- Tune in to a local
media outlet or this Web site for current information regarding