Information for On-Campus Students
- Be aware and alert.
- Watch for and report to MUPD or Residential Life Staff any unusual circumstances or behaviors such as:
- People who appear out of place or “casing the area.”
- People who seem unusually distracted, have a dazed appearance, are openly agitated, nervous or hostile.
- Packages, backpacks, etc. that seem to have been abandoned or are noticeably out of place.
- Vehicles that are parked in restricted or unusual areas or appear to have been abandoned.
- Know the location of the emergency exits in your Residence Hall and classroom buildings.
- Have a plan in place for contacting your family if an emergency occurs on campus.
Note: Please report all threats and emergencies directly to MUPD. Direct only non-emergency questions and comments to Residential Life staff.
In the event of a campus emergency, remain calm. Use common sense and assist others as necessary without endangering yourself.
- Contact the nearest MU staff member for information, instructions or assistance.
- Evacuate buildings immediately if requested by authorities, upon hearing an alarm or when you sense that remaining inside may be dangerous.
- In emergencies, do not use the MU telephone system except to report the emergency situation.
- Do not use elevators.
- Do not risk your life or the lives of others by reentering a building to save personal or University property.
- Do not cross Police barriers without permission.
- Do not exceed your training or knowledge in attempting to provide first aid.
- Use your cellular phone as the University phone services may be down or overloaded.
- Contact a family member or a friend to let them know you’re safe once you have reached a secure location.
- Tune in to a local media outlet or this Web site for current information regarding this emergency.
If you have a medical condition or special circumstance that would be important for emergency personnel to know when responding to a 911 call from your room or office, please use the Emergency 911 Information Sheet to indicate it.