Visitors Precautionary Tips
and Emergency Procedures
- Be aware and alert.
- Watch for and report unusual circumstances or behaviors such as:
- People who appear out of place or “casing the area.”
- People who seem unusually distracted, have a dazed appearance, are openly agitated, nervous or hostile.
- Packages, backpacks, etc., that seem to have been abandoned or are noticeably out of place.
- Vehicles that are parked in restricted or unusual areas or appear to have been abandoned.
- Always note emergency exits whenever entering campus buildings.
- In the event of a campus emergency, remain calm. Use common sense and assist others as necessary without endangering yourself.
- Contact the nearest MU staff or faculty member for information, instructions or assistance. Follow the directions of staff in authority, such as police, ushers or game personnel.
- Evacuate buildings immediately if requested by authorities, upon hearing an alarm or when you sense that remaining inside may be dangerous.
- In emergencies, do not use the MU telephone system except to report the emergency situation.
- Do not use elevators.
- Do not risk your life or the lives of others by reentering a building to save personal or University property.
- Do not cross Police barriers without permission.
- Do not exceed your training or knowledge in attempting to provide first aid.
- Use your cellular phone as the University phone services may be down or overloaded.
- Contact a family member or a friend to let them know you’re safe once you have reached a secure location.
- Tune in to a local media outlet or this Web site for current information regarding this emergency.
Information for Persons with Disabilities