The University of Missouri is giving students, staff and faculty an added layer of protection with a free mobile app that turns any smartphone into a personal safety device.
By downloading Rave Guardian to a mobile phone, you can invite friends and family — even if they don’t have the Rave Guardian app installed on their phone — to join your network as “guardians.” When needed, users can request one or more of their guardians to “virtually” walk with them on or off campus. During the timed trip, Rave Guardian will share your approximate location and route with your appointed guardian, and they can follow along using GPS. Once you reach your destination, your guardian will know you arrived safely.
Should users run into trouble during a trip, they can use the app to call 911 or the MU police department at the touch of a button — no dialing required — revealing their Rave Guardian profile and real-time location, helping facilitate a quicker emergency response.
Other features include:
- Stored medical emergency information: Users can build an app profile, including any personal and medical information, which can be shared with designated responders.
- Submit information: Text information, including photos, about suspicious activity or maintenance requests, such as when a light is out on campus, directly to MUPD.
- Timer: Set a timer in a few easy steps, and friends and family can watch loved ones walk at night or travel to a new area.
- Call directory: Access other emergency and campus numbers at the push of a button.
- Links: Direct links to various emergency and campus services.
All students, faculty and staff are encouraged to enhance their personal safety by downloading Rave Guardian.
Learn more by visiting our frequently asked questions page.
If you do not have a Smart911 account:
- Create a new account with Rave Guardian using your university email address.
If you have a Smart911 safety profile:
- Login and update the User ID to be your MU email address.
- Download Rave Guardian.
- Do not create a new account within the Rave Guardian App. Login with your Smart911 account using your MU email address as your User ID.
If you encounter technical issues with Rave Guardian, please contact the Division of IT Help Desk at (573) 882-5000. For general questions about Rave Guardian, contact Sara Diedrich, MU Public Safety Information Specialist, at (573) 882-3243.